Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Wordless Wednesday
Fannie Scott and Daughters

Fannie Thomas Scott and her daughters: Pearline, Fannie, Gladys, and Margie.
Photograph taken during the late 1940s or early 1950s.
Lincoln County, Mississippi

How are they related to me?
The daughters' father James Pearly Scott, Jr., was the son of James Pearly Scott and Catherine Matilda Markham.
Catherine and my great grandfather Monroe Markham were siblings.
The daughters and I are second cousins once removed.

Photograph courtesy of James Scott, Fannie's grandson.

7 comments:

Beth said...

What does "once removed" mean? I've always wondered.

LindaRe said...

Our nearest common ancestor is James Markham, the daughters' great grandfather; my second great grandfather. In relationship to James, one generation is between us which makes us "once removed" from James Markham.

I simply call them cousins.

Beth said...

That's interesting! It makes more sense if I think of it in terms of the family tree diagram!

Kristin said...

It took me a minute to determine which was the mother. A lovely family, all looking good.

LindaRe said...

Me, too, until I realized Mama was the one wearing stockings.

Saundra Williams Blackman said...

Linda, I too had to look twice. I'm sure you recall when wearing "stockings" sent a powerful social message.
"Young girls, you should wear socks as long as you can because once you start wearing stockings, you can never go back."

LindaRe said...

Oh yes, I remember, girlhood was over.