Monday, December 31, 2012

Watch Night
Washington and Mary Hardgraves Marshall

...shall be then, thenceforward, and forever free...
Emancipation Proclamation
January 1 1863
Celebrating the 150th anniversary of the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation.

Washington and Mary are the oldest of the great grandparents at Emancipation. Washington was born about 1822 in Virginia, Mary his wife about 1839 in Mississippi. Four of their 15 children were born in slavery. Washington told his children the sad story of being sold from his siblings and parents in Virginia. He wanted his Mississippi family to know that they had family in Virginia.

The names of the Virginia family did not survive to me. The first time I visited Virginia, I remembered what was told to me and softly whisper to Grandpa Washington that I was home.

Washington and Mary are my mother's paternal grandparents. Both were deceased when she was born.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I am sorry the names got lost through the years.