Monday, November 30, 2015

Ora Coleman Lee
1907-1993

Notice the outhouses, clothes waving in the wind, and the houses in the background. Ora was likely born in Lincoln County, Mississippi. She and the family she created lived in Winnsboro, Louisiana. She was the daughter of Henry Coleman, Sr, and Florence Washington. She married John Emanuel "Manuel" Lee.

How does Ora Lee connect to my family?
After the death of Ora's father, her mother Florence married James "Jim" Scott.
Jim Scott was the son of James Pearly Scott, Sr., and Viola Markham.
Viola Markham Henderson and my great grandfather, Monroe Markham, were siblings.

Picture Courtesy of Ivy Lee, Grandson of Ora

11 comments:

Kristin said...

I do like hanging clothes out on the line. I have no nostalgia for outhouses though.

LindaRe said...

me neither. One of my grandmothers didn't have an outhouse. You did your business on a pot looking container with a lid. I can remember grandma walking to the woods to empty the container. I suppose an outhouse would have been a step up.

Saundra Williams Blackman said...

It would have been a move up from the slop jar! Interesting photo. Thanks.

Saundra Williams Blackman said...

It would have been a move up from the slop jar! Interesting photo. Thanks.

Saundra Williams Blackman said...

It would have been a move up from the slop jar! Also, wouldn't she have been 48 years old at the time? Interesting photo. Thanks.

Saundra Williams Blackman said...

It would have been a move up from the slop jar! Also, wouldn't she have been 48 years old at the time? Interesting photo. Thanks.

LindaRe said...

Grandma Gert referred to the pots containing the scraps for the pig and human waste as slop jars. My six year old brain couldn't figure out why she called both container the same thing.

L.O.V.E. said...

hello. i enjoy your blog. do you have info on Florence Washington? I am a Welch-Washington descendant and my ancestors were from Louisiana and Copiah, MS.

L.O.V.E. said...

my email is tchimaroke@gmail.com thank you

Unknown said...

they were called slop jars

Unknown said...

Hello.
Im a descendant of Florence Washington.
reply too

ivjole9@gmail.com