Monroe Markham b. 1852, and his wife Mary Jane Byrd b. 1855, were my great grandparents. They were the parents of seventeen children, 10 daughters and 7 sons. I think the above picture of the family was taken somewhere around 1920, give or take a couple of years. They also appear to be the same group listed in Monroe's 1920 census household.
The couple's children in their own households around the time this photograph was taken were:
- James married Anna Culver in 1895
- John married Ida Blue in 1896
- Joseph b. 1876, apparently died when he was a child. He was only seen in the 1880 census and does not show in the 1885 or 1892 educable children lists with the other children.
- Eudora "Dora" married Henry Coleman in 1896
- Nellie married Clarence Coleman in 1896
- Octavius married Mamie Culver in 1903
- Willie Lewis married Fredonia Culver in 1913
- Ada married Ernest Spencer in 1914
I based the age of the picture on when the last son married and left home.
- Mary Jane unmarried
- Mattie married John Vaughn in 1921
- Samuel David, the last son at home, married Rosanna Thomas in 1922, which is what helps to date the picture. Samuel was a twin, his brother David died shortly after birth. The parents named the twins Samuel and David. They gave both names to the surviving son.
- Lou Ella married Elijah Howard in 1924
- Missouri died in 1925
- Alice married Daniel Marshall in 1927
- Dad, Monroe died in 1932
- Mom, Mary died in 1937
- Beatrice married Silas Johnson in 1938
- Ina (Inez) died in 1938