Thursday, January 20, 2011

Women and Hats

The women in my family loved their hats. A hat was needed for a funeral, wedding, church service, or a trip to see relatives even if the trip was just one county over.

Revella Ephraim McDaniel born about 1878 in Union Church, Mississippi.

Revella's daughter Jimmie Lee McDaniel Sanders

Unknown Woman

Estella Lee Williams Coleman born 1905 in Lincoln County, MS.


Photographs of Revella and her daughter Jimmie Lee are from the private collection of Anthony Neal.
Photograph of the unknown woman is from the private collection of Christi Young.
Photograph of Estella is from the private collection of Karen Pierce.

5 comments:

Carol said...

What a fun post, I love love love the hats!!

Professor Dru said...

Great posting. Women in my family also loved hats also. http://findyourfolks.blogspot.com/search/label/Hat%20Traditions

Greta Koehl said...

Oh, this is a favorite for me - I'm a real hat person.

Anonymous said...

I love the hats. Women in my mothers family love them also.

Lela

Darlene said...

Yes! It's like you aren't dressed til you have your hat on.