Monday, April 2, 2012

Amanuensis Monday
The Will of James Markham - 1898

The State of Mississippi
County of Lincoln

Know all men that I James Markham a citizen of the County of Lincoln State of Mississippi being of sound mind and memory do make publish and declare this to be my last will and testament hereby revoking all and every previous testamentary disposite(sp) of my property.

Item 1st I hereby bequeath and devise all of the real and personal estate which I may own at the time of my death to my wife Jane Markham and my two children Catherine Matilda Markham and Mary Viola Markham - to be divided between them equally.

Item 2nd In the event my said wife shall not survive me then it is my will that all of my property shall decend(sp) to my two children named in Item 1st.

Item 3rd The disposition of my property herein before made is intended to include only such as may remain after the payment of all my honest debt.

Item 4th I hereby appoint my friend Max Priebatach and my brother Alexander Markham Executors of this my last will and testament.

James Markham (Seal)

Signed by the Testator in the presence of the undersigned witnesses & by them in the presence of the Testator & in the of each other on this the 18th day of April AD 1879.

Henry Lewenthal
P L Kelly
W W Ramsey

Filed for record Dec 27, 1898
at 9 Oclock AM
Flex May clk


James Markham was born about 1831, a slave on the plantation of David Buie in Caseyville, MS. He obtained over 200 acres and was considered a prosperous farmer. James was my 2nd great grandfather.
Source
Records of Wills
Book 1, Page 49
Lincoln County, Mississippi

2 comments:

Cheri Herring said...

Hi Linda - Thank you for posting this will for James Markham, also a relation in my husband's family. - Cheri

LindaRe said...

Your are welcome, Cheri.