Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Home No More

My parents' three-bedroom, one-bath home for our family of seven was sold earlier last year to investors. We moved there in 1972 from a long trail of renting shotgun apartments. My father died unexpectedly in 1980, leaving my mother and three children in the home. The remaining children left, leaving Mama who eventually begins her battle with Alzheimer's disease. Mama died in 2014

As young adults, we were eager to leave our childhood home, to build our own place called home. As long as the home of our childhood remains in the family, we always have a home to return to. We go back home for the holidays or send our children back home for the summer. There are days when we need respite from the responsibilities of adulting, so we just go home to sip a cold beverage, to see a parent's warm smile, to sit in the old chair with the worn cushions.

When that home is sold, there is no place for you or your children to return. The grandchildren have no place to envision you as a child. You have a childhood home no more.

14 comments:

Kristin said...

This is so true. Very sad when it happens.

Beth said...

I've had these same thoughts, too. Usually at Christmas when I see a phrase about home for the holidays or all hearts go home for Christmas. For some of us, home is just a place in our memories.

LindaRe said...

You don't know how much you will miss home until it is no longer available.

LindaRe said...

Yes, I am thankful for the memories.

Suzassippi said...

This was very poignant, LindaRe. I can empathize; I have those feelings still.

LindaRe said...

This was one of those weeks, life brings about a change.

Surya's Backlinks said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Snowbrush said...

I very much appreciated and resonated with this post. Like you, I have lost my parents and the home I grew up in, and my sister is now dying of COPD. Unlike you, perhaps, I have spent nearly half of my life in a state that is far from Mississippi. I have never felt at home in Oregon, yet if I know I wouldn't feel at home in Mississippi either where all that I had is gone or, in the case of my sister, dying.

LindaRe said...

Snowbrush, I am sorry to learn of your sister's health condition. May peace and comfort be with you and yours.

One day you realize that so much of what gave you comfort is gone, rebuilt, destroyed, new, and not familiar. Since we can't go back, lets make new memories and cherish the old memories. Be Well

alittlewiser63 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
alittlewiser63 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
alittlewiser63 said...

My in laws maintain a family house on the town I grew up in. We keep it for the same reasons you mentioned. It’s getting harder and harder to retain our memories and history. This house helps us hang on a little bit longer.

LindaRe said...

I am pleased you have a place to return to. Enjoy

Moeen Ali said...

If You're planning To Buy Property In Dubai Then It Is Really Important for you To Know about the best Places In Dubai.