Sunday, August 23, 2015

Three Brothers Married Three Sisters

Archie Hilliard
Born about 1874
Three brothers married three sisters. The brothers were the sons of Alexander Hilliard and Leitha Culver. The sisters were the daughters of James Coleman and Mary Ann Markham. They were born and raised in Lincoln County, Mississippi.

The three couples produced 25 double first cousins.

Archie Hilliard, Sr., (1874-1960), married Lucy Coleman (1874-1942), 13 Dec 1895, in Lincoln County, MS. Their children were: Archie, Jr., Lamar, Edward, Grover, Bessie, Lessie, Deforest, Jessie Mae, and Beasley.

John Hilliard (1870 - ?), married Levanna Coleman (1876 - ?), 12 Dec 1895, in Lincoln County, MS. Their children were: Ontee, Anna/Amizone, James, Gertrude, Mary, and Artimessia.

Versie Hilliard (1879 - ?), married Mary Coleman (1884 - ?), 13 Dec 1900, in Lincoln County, MS. Their children were: Estelle, Lucille, Luther, Versie, Jr., Garvey, Alma, Clifton, Marion, Mildred, and Mary.

Photograph Courtesy of Cherri Herring
How do the couples connect to my family tree?
The sisters' mother, Mary Ann Markham Coleman, and my great grandfather Monroe Markham were siblings.

11 comments:

Suzassippi said...

Do you have any idea why the brothers married the sisters? I suppose that was not uncommon then, because there was less travel and we did not meet people outside of our community, but still, it makes for a fascinating family history.

Kristin said...

Those must have been some good family gatherings, with spouses having family always which ever house they gathered at.

North Chi Nubian said...

My mom's 2 sisters married two brothers. My dad (who I met only once) had a brother who also married one of the 2 sisters listed above. Unfortunately that sister couldn't tell me much about my dad's family. I've hit a road block.

LindaRe said...

I think you hit the nail on its head, they did not meet many people outside of their community. Once they became teenagers, cousins tell stories of visiting family and friends with siblings close in age. It appears they participated in group socializing, increasing the chance of romantic interest between one sibling group with another sibling group.

LindaRe said...

I like to think the families were close. Archie and members of his family migrated to California sometime after the death of his wife in 1942. Members of his brothers' families followed, settling in California and Washington.

LindaRe said...

Some branches of the family don't know as much as another branch. Let me know if I can help you get in touch with other members of the family.

LindaRe said...

Which brother married which one of the two sisters listed?

MsMika said...

This is a great read Versie Hilliard was my 3x great grandfather. I wish I knew more about his family.

LindaRe said...

Versie was married to my cousin Mary Coleman. You and I are likely related.

MsMika said...

I believe we are related

LindaRe said...

You may contact me LRudd at aol dot com.